Hey guys! Here’s this month’s ASCE Chapter Update:
- Our next (and only) chapter meeting this month will be on March 28.
- Speaker: Sean Henry, member of the Professional Advisory Board and city engineer of Carbondale
- The ASCE will operate the concession stand during the High School Super Sectionals on March 7. Those who volunteered should meet in the Engineering building in wing D (at the hallway by our office/shop) by 3:50 p.m.
- Both the Concrete Canoe and Steel Bridge teams are wrapping up their respective projects for this year’s regional competition on April 21 and 22 at the University of Arkansas.
- Next year’s regional competition will take place at SIUC!
- Our ASCE chapter is also hard at work at building the bridge for our Touch of Nature initiative.
- Congratulations to Fernando Sanchez for winning our ASCE logo contest!
- Other social events:
- Habitat for Humanity will take place on April 8 from 8 A.M. to 12 P.M.
- For our list of current fundraisers and social events, go here.
I hope you all have a wonderful spring break and an excellent St. Patrick’s Day.
Jason Jurak, PR and Historian
Hello members of ASCE! Starting this semester, this website will now have monthly updates on the current and future events happening in the SIUC ASCE Student Chapter! Every update will include future meeting dates (which will all be at 6 P.M. in A131 of the engineering building this semester), fundraisers, news, and other social events in order to keep you posted on all things ASCE.
- Mark your calendars, guys. Here are a couple of dates for upcoming ASCE Chapter Meetings:
- Tuesday, February 7 (There will be bowling after this meeting.)
- Tuesday, February 21 (Dues ($10) will be due this meeting except for first semester students.)
- There are two new fundraisers:
- T-Shirt Sale (Feb. 7-28)
- Crush for Crush (Feb. 14)
- For more information on these fundraisers and other social events, go here.
- Both the Concrete Canoe and Steel Bridge Teams are preparing for our Conference competition, which will take place at the University of Arkansas on April 21 and 22.
- For our Touch of Nature Bridge initiative, the ASCE has received $250 to help fund the project.
- The SIUC ASCE Chapter is getting a new logo this year, and it could be yours. Open now until Valentine’s Day (February 14th), the ASCE is holding a Logo Contest, where the winner will not only have their new logo emblazoned on everything ASCE, but you could also win a free tub of ice cream of your choosing (courtesy of our new Chapter President Daniel Lee).
- Finally, here are some other things happening in ASCE:
- ASCE is participating in Habitat for Humanity this semester in order to help build affordable houses for those in need.
- The movie Dream Big is playing in St. Louis on February 25 at 5 P.M., and there are 8 seats available to any ASCE members.
- For more information on social events, go to the link above under the fundraising section.
I hope you guys and gals will have an excellent semester here at SIUC and in ASCE!
Jason Jurak, ASCE PR and Historian